Relation between RTI and Corruption, RTI (Right to Information) and corruption are inextricably linked. RTI gives citizens the legal right to access information from public authorities, which promotes transparency and accountability in government operations.
Corruption, on the other hand, thrives in an atmosphere of secrecy and opacity. Corrupt officials may refuse or withhold information in order to conceal their misconduct. RTI contributes to the prevention of such behaviours by allowing citizens to have access to information and hold public officials accountable for their actions.
Furthermore, RTI can be utilised to uncover corruption by providing facts of public funds embezzlement, fraudulent activities, and other corrupt practises. People can use this information to sue corrupt officials and seek justice.
RTI affects/ controls/ attempt to control/ curb/ tackles corruption in following ways :
RTI Act enables the citizens to access information relating to the working of the government or public
authority except such information which is a prohibited from disclosure under Section 8 of the RTI act.
Under RTI act, no public authority can charge more than rupees 50 /application.
Case : common cause (c.c) v. Allahabad High Court :- petitioner challenge the RTI rules,2006 of Allahabad High Court on the ground that same was in contravention of several clause of RTI act has rule 4 of the impugned rule declared a fee of rupees 500/application was not in accordance with the provision of RTI act. Supreme Court held that fees for filling application under RTI shall not exceed rupees 5 & 5
copying/photocopy for all government authorities.
(iii) less time consuming
Public authority can’t deny information and it has to provide it to the applicant in 30 days or 35 days if RTI
application is transferred to another public authority.
These act imposes obligation on public authority that they will provide it on the Internet. all necessary
information regarding public authority should be published within 120 days from the enactement of these act.
(v) awareness leads to accountability
RTI act is helpful in promoting awareness there by encouraging accountability of government.
Conclusion | Relation between RTI and Corruption
In summary, RTI is a powerful tool to combat corruption and promote transparency in government functioning. It enables citizens to access information and hold public officials accountable, thereby promoting good governance and reducing corruption.
Related Post | Relation between RTI and Corruption
- Central Information Commission | Composition | Term | Removal
- State Information Commission | Composition | Term and service | Removal
- Third Party Information Under RTI Act, 2005
- Powers and functions of the Central Information Commission and State Information Commission
- Grounds For Rejection to Access Information In Certain Cases under RTI Act, 2005
- Exemption From Disclosure of Information under RTI Act, 2005
- Relation between RTI and democracy
- Commentary on The Right to Information Act by J. N. Barowalia, 2010
- Right to Information by K. B. Rai, 2020
- Right To Information Law & Practice by R. K. Verma, 2010
- The RTI Story: Power to the People by Aruna Roy, 2018